Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Mifflin 'Don't Go' Video Debacle

Okay, if you are on campus you probably know everything about what is going on.  I'm writing this for those who are confused about parts of the issue or wants to know a student's reaction.  You can read up on the issue at the Badger Herald and the Daily Cardinal (the two student newspapers).  I also recommend, if you don't already know, finding out what Mifflin is.    

Summary:  Mifflin is a large street block party that takes place on the first Saturday in May.  It originally began as part of the many anti Vietnam war protests.  It was later used as a community fundraiser.  The common activities include bands playing on porches and balconies, food, and students drinking during the day.  It is one of the largest street block parties in the United States.  It is the second largest student event at the UW; the biggest is the State Street Halloween Party. 



The original video has been deleted by the University, but here is a re-upload.

[Now that you've seen the video in question you likely have your own opinion, but please read mine with an open mind.] 

The are important aspects to consider when talking about this issue.  First of all, Wisconsin (both the state and the university) have a drinking culture.  This event started before the drinking age was raised from 18 to 21.  [In Wisconsin you can still drink under the age of 21 under certain circumstances.]  All students could drink alcohol legally, and even dorms hosted events with alcohol.  Therefore, a lot of traditions at the University included alcohol.  A lot of those events still do, but now a large portion of the student body is not allowed to drink.  While the legal drinking age in Wisconsin is 21 it is not uncommon for underage students to participate in the drinking culture.  The second aspect to consider is the recent tensions surrounding Mifflin.  The administration, police, and people within government have come out with negative positions, many saying they want the event gone all together.

These memes are from the University of Wisconsin Memes Facebook page.
My Opinion on the Drinking Age:
I believe the drinking age should either return to 18 or lower to 19.  I understand the reasons behind raising the drinking age.  However, if I am considered mature enough to make major decisions like who should represent me in government and joining the military I should be mature enough to drink.  I started to drink in a safe environment and I know exactly how much I should drink to get a buzz.  I never drink without eating.  I never drink without being surrounded by people I trust.  I always have a plan how to get home safely.  I know how to drink responsibly, and I am not of age.  I do believe that high school students shouldn't drink. 

It seems some students recommended to the Dean of Students to, in order to appeal to the student body, to release a video instead of a school-wide email.  She produced this video without a script.  I would of never seen this video if it hadn't blown up because I don't subscribe to the University's YouTube page.  I found this video after it had been shared on Facebook.  Therefore, I would of recommended to stick with emails even though I often just glance at them.  

I was offended by this video.  While I am aware and recognize that she had good intentions, the way she went about it was completely wrong.  (Unless you were trying to start a meme, because the repetitiveness of the statement helped.) I do not appreciate or respond well to someone talking to me like a child.  I am an adult and should be treated like one.  It is best not to be condescending to people in general and she should know better.  I also did not respond well to her taking a steamy dump on a tradition here on campus.  Yes some things can be improved on, but some of the recommendations offered (not within this video) I do not care for.  One of things that disappointed me when I came to the University was the Halloween State Street Party.  I'm from Madison so I often heard or read about the annual bash.  It was one of things I looked forward to once I became a student here.  I didn't attend it this year because I thought it was boring.  I did not appreciate the changes they've made, nor do I think it helped.  (For example, confiscating and throwing away props.)  What people should understand is that the students here are legal adults, not children.  Think in terms of self-fulfilling prophecy: you think of the students as children then they will act like children. 

Another aspect of the video is the issue over the 'Cinco de Mifflin' tagline.  Part of me wished she had used the video as an opportunity to teach the students why it is offensive because this is a place of learning.  I do understand that we should expect college students to know better, but even college graduates don't always know better.  The tagline in itself I don't believe to be offensive.  I've asked my friends for their view and they agree, although there may be people who are.  It originated because the event this year falls on the same day as Cinco De Mayo.  It is just a pun due to a coincident.  Now, United States has a white majority and the same goes for Wisconsin.  Sometimes as a majority, people do or say racist things without being aware of it, or they do it fully aware.  The pun isn't necessarily offensive, but the actions some of the students have taken are.  Considering the demographic of this campus I am not surprised, but I am still disappointed.  So please if you are attending Mifflin 2012, like myself, do not go dressed as a stereotypical Mexican.  Saying that, we shouldn't ban the party on Halloween either.  I saw photos or people dressed in offensive costumes there too, like as a Native American.  I don't recall them trying to stop people from attending that event due to the poor actions of other students.  

The Dean of Students was interviewed by the local news about the poor reaction to the video.  She said it was worth it if any one student didn't go, and that she didn't believe people will go due to that video.  Well reality check: they will.  I am a perfect and real example.  I had no intention and had told my friends that I was not going to this year's Mifflin.  The night that said video was released was when I changed my mind.  I then began to make plans with friends.  I thought I would go during my senior year when I'll be of age just to participate in a tradition.  You should try pretty much everything once.  Well not anymore.  Here is a tip, don't tell people what to do. 

She could of done a video that wouldn't of been a complete disaster, but I am happy there is now a new inside joke for UW students.  My suggestion would of been not to condone the event if you didn't want to, but not to antagonize the student body.  Instead focus on how to be safe and the possible consequences like fines for peeing in public.  We are adults and can make our own decisions and that needs to be acknowledged.           

No comments:

Post a Comment