Sunday, June 30, 2013

My Japan Trip Part I: Nagoya, Inuyama, Kyoto, Arashiyama, & Nara

After spending a year abroad in Nagoya, Japan some of my family came over to visit and travel.  I planned an itinerary for four major cities and three day trips to neighboring areas.  I'm going to give you an overview of where we went, where we staid, where we ate, and what we did. I will also include what was on my list of possible activities and such that we didn't get to.  My family is from the Midwest of the United States so they were tired in the middle of the day, so we made time for naps or recharging sometime after lunch or before dinner.  I'm 21 so it is normal for me to stay up late, but my parents go to bed around 10pm.  In other words, there was no night life included.  (The popular, foreigner-friendly club in Nagoya is ID-cafe in Sakae.)

General Tips:
If you are traveling from city to city on the shinkansen then you should order a JR pass.  If you plan on running around then you should consider purchasing a day pass for the subway or bus (based on what city you are in).  Otherwise a train/bus re-chargeable card (that now work in all major cities) will speed up commuting. 


Nagoya (3-days)
My view at Hilton Nagoya
Hotel:  Hilton Nagoya (between Fushimi and Nagoya Station)
Hilton in Japan is great if you are on the executive floor.  (My parents were on the executive floor because my Dad travels for work, but I was not.)  The executive floor can have snacks, breakfast buffet, laundry service, and wifi complimentary.  If you are not on the executive floor, then Hilton isn't that great in my mind.  I didn't even get internet, which many cheaper Japanese hotels do offer.  I stole the wifi password from my folks.  The one in Nagoya has a nice location because it is in walking distance of two train stations.  They also have a great staff, which is their best selling point in my opinion.  My Dad had a previous illness come back while we were in Nagoya and someone took us to a clinic to translate.  It was in the early stage so he was fine with medication.  So, in case of an emergency situation they are prepared to help.

An Italian-style omelet rice from a restaurant at Nagoya Station. 
Food:
マツヤキッチン/ Matsuya Kitchen [Family-style Japanese]
カフェダウニー/ Cafe Downey [California-American Food]
One tip is to go to Nagoya Station and take an elevator to the restaurant floor.  You can walk around and see what you are in the mood for.  Osu Kannon has a ton of food stalls.  My favorite spot for taiyaki is here.  
 
Inuyama Castle
 Activities/ Sights:
Sakae
If the weather is bad, there is an underground mall connected to Sakae station.  For young women I would recommend the department store Marue.
Nagoya Station area 
Toyota Kaikan Museum
Atsuta Shrine (one of the three major shrines in Japan)
Tokugawa garden
Osu Kannon (outdoor shopping area next to a shrine) 
Nagoya Castle

- Day trip to Inuyama
Inuyama Castle
This is like the oldest wooden castle in Japan.  I enjoy going to old castles because I like to imagine having laser tag or humans vs. zombie games there.  Old castles might not be the best for those who have difficulty with stairs.  I would eat nearby.
Meiji Mura
Personally I wouldn't go here again.  It is a lot of walking and I'm not big on these historic places where I just read a ton of factoids.  They do have other things like dressing up in traditional garb.  Get a trolly pass right away because there is no way you can walk the entire park in a reasonable amount of time. 

Kyoto (3-days)
Hotel: Best Western Kyoto
This is my favorite in terms of location.  It is right in the middle of a shopping area.  There is an arcade next door and a Starbucks near that.  It is also a short walking distance from Ponto-cho, a street packed with restaurants and the second best place to spot maiko/geisha.      


The best eggplant dish I've ever had @Zuzu.
Food:
Ponto-cho 
This street was my favorite place to go get a bite to eat for dinner.  I went to three izakaya, Japanese style bars, while I was in Kyoto.  I went to (in order of preference) まんざら亭 先斗町店/ Manzara (no English menu), 和洋ビストロ 厨厨 先斗町 / Zuzu, and Mimasu-ya.
Noa Noa [Italian]
mellow cafe [Pizza]



 
Kinkakuji/ Golden Pavilion Temple
Activities/ Sights:
Arashiyama
I recommend spending a half-day here on the day you arrive.  It is on the outskirts of Kyoto.  While in Arashiyama you should see the Moon Crossing Bridge/ Togetsukyou, Tenryuu Temple's garden, and then walk around the town.
Gion 
This is the geisha/maiko district.  You cannot eat or be entertained by them because their houses are invite only.  
Nijo Castle
Todaiji: home of a giant Buddha statue
Kinkaku Temple
Ginkaku Temple
Kiyomizu Shrine
Fushimi Inari Shrine 

- Day trip to Nara
Todai Temple
Nara Park

No comments:

Post a Comment